The narrow streets that lead off the city’s main avenue, Istiklal Caddesi is filled with hidden gems of galleries and art spaces, which regularly showcase works by both local and international artists. We will be taking you through the backstreets of Beyoglu to show you the kind of talent Istanbul hides beneath the surface.
A Typical Contemporary Art Walk Route*
- Mısır Apartmanı in Galatasaray is a great place to start an Istanbul art walk. The art-nouveau building houses three of the Istanbul art scene’s leading galleries on its six floors: Galeri Nev, Galeri Zilberman and Pi Artworks.
- From there, we simply walk across the street to check out non-profit research and art venue Salt Beyoğlu, or cross the Odakule Passageway to visit Pera Museum and catch one of their popular shows.
- Down the hill from here, and nestled on the first floor of Le Petit Champs building, Galerist represents a roster of art celebrities such as Arik Levy, Haluk Akakce, Gavin Turk and Hussein Chalayan.
- A short stroll takes us back onto Istiklal Caddesi and to lunch at Yeni Lokanta, one of the most inspiring culinary experiences in the city, and a welcome stop to refuel for the walk ahead.
- We kick the afternoon off with the young Gaia Art Gallery located inside the beautiful 19th century Elhamra Passage.
- Across from the passage stands Arter, an independent exhibition space opened up in 2010 that has held major group and solo shows for the likes of Mona Hatoum, Matt Collishaw, and Marc Quinn as well as for major Turkish artists such as Füsun Onur.
- Following this, Alanistanbul and Sanatorium are two spaces in Asmalimescit that we will visit and the cobbled-stone street that takes us to the base of the historic Galata Tower will bring us to the door of another young gallery, Öktem & Aykut.
Who is this tour for?
- Contemporary art lovers and enthusiasts that want a guide to the best Istanbul has to offer.
- People with no knowledge of contemporary art, but that want to learn.
- Anyone interested in seeing the creative side of Istanbul that bubbles beneath its surface - if you know where to look.
Why should I book with Istanbul Tour Studio?
- We’re immersed in the local scene and always keep abreast of the latest openings.
- We are art lovers ourselves and can’t wait to show you the city’s best.
- Istanbul Tour Studio is rated "Excellent" on Tripadvisor. Click to read the latest reviews about us.
- We make you feel at home! Our tours give you the feeling that you are walking around Istanbul with local friends.
- We have a team of knowledgeable personnel that are trustworthy, friendly and always on time.
- *Please note that the list of galleries and institutions on the tour is subject to change as they may be in between shows and not available.
How much is the private Contemporary Art Walk is per person?
- Private Contemporary Art Walk prices start from $100 USD/person for two people. ($200 USD/total for two people).
- Our prices are quoted per person. We require minimum two participants to organise this private tour. Please contact us if you'd like to book a private tour for one person. The prices include English speaking professional guidance and personal shopper assistance in the bazaars of Istanbul. We offer dynamic pricing which means as the number of people on your private group increase, our per person prices decrease.
- This tour is $100 USD/person for two people; $90 USD/person for three people; $80 USD/person for four people; $70 USD/person for five people and so on. You will automatically get the dynamic pricing at the booking phase after choosing the total number of people.
Born and raised in Istanbul. Art writer, lover and explorer. Tourist and guide by nature.