“Since I had been to Istanbul before and seen the main tourist sites, I was looking for something different to do on this visit. Luckily, I found Istanbul Tour Studio and signed up for the jewelry workshop. Instead of just spending the day hanging out shopping at the Grand Bazaar, I hung out in a real jewelry workshop with two very talented jewelers, and made my own piece of custom jewelry! Eren Usta taught me metal cutting, welding, polishing, and everything it takes to create a unique pendant to take home with me. Much better than anything I could have bought in the bazaar! Very cool experience, I would highly recommend it for anyone who wants something beyond the typical Istanbul tour!” Read more on Tripadvisor.
Jewellery Workshop in the Grand Bazaar
Most people go to the Grand Bazaar to try and buy a ring, bracelet or some other handicraft. But have you ever thought of going there to make one? You will be learning the art of gold-smithery and jewellery making from Eren Usta (‘usta' means master or teacher in Turkish, a man who’s been actively devoting himself to this craft for almost 25 years. Istanbul’s special vibe and creative thinking will inspire you. And the Grand Bazaar with all its hidden alleys has become my source of inspiration.
- Work in a hidden inn of the Bazaar: Our workshop is located in one of the hidden hans of the Grand Bazaar. This is the sort of secret place that you always dream of stumbling upon. But you won’t need a map, as our expert guides will lead you right there.
- Hands-on: Learn how to make a brass ring in three hours!
- Small group size: To be able to spend more time with each student, we decided to allow up to four people in our classes. After meeting each other and of-course having a cup of Turkish tea, we first start with the tools and objects which we’ll be using during our jewellery workshop session.
- Choose your favourite accessory and start making it. Following the short introduction, you’ll choose from among four different ring types. After you decide which ring you are interested in making, Eren Usta briefs you on how to make it. We turn the music on and start!
Who is this tour for?
- Anyone interested in learning the basics of an age old handicraft.
- Anyone that wants to see the real Grand Bazaar and not just the tourist front of it.
- People that would like to do some shopping with someone that knows the best places for each item.
- Creative people that want to try something a little different.
- Jewelry lovers!
Why book with Istanbul Tour Studio?
- We work closely with expert craftspeople who are delighted to share their skills.
- We know the Grand Bazaar inside out and want to show you its secrets.
- We have a trusted team of guides who are friendly, knowledgeable and always on time.
- We are rated ‘Excellent’ on Tripadvisor. Click here to read our reviews.