This was a perfect photography tour. I got to see parts of Istanbul that I would have never seen. Great antique store, street art, flower shop, neighborhoods, etc. Our photography guide was excellent. She was knowledgeable and is a great photographer. My photography definitely improved as a result of his instruction and I'm so pleased with the pictures I took. Besides she was an excellent tour guide as well!! I highly recommend taking this tour to anyone who has a day in Istanbul. Read more on Tripadvisor.
Street Photography Walk in Istanbul
Istanbul photography walk is the perfect combination of city trekking and photo shooting. Starting from Istiklal Avenue and going down the hill towards Galata Tower and Karaköy our photography walk lasts about five hours. Strolling through the narrow-side streets off Istiklal Avenue we will be discovering and shooting in the most vibrant and picturesque neighborhoods of Istanbul. Before we start our photo walk we offer a short introduction to basic photography (for beginners only) and a briefing on the photo-walk by your photography guide
We kindly ask you to bring your own photography equipment. Although you can contact us in-advance if you need further equipment or tools.
Highlights of the Tour
- Istiklal Avenue: If Taksim is the heart, then the Istanbul’s main artery is Istiklal Caddesi (Istiklal Avenue), which leads off it. It is the longest pedestrian avenue of Istanbul, lined with 19th century Ottoman architecture, consulate buildings, historical passages, cinemas, art galleries, music stores, libraries, theatres, bars, pubs, restaurants and shops. There are some stunning examples of Neo-Classical, Neo-Gothic, Art Nouveau and the First Turkish National Architecture.
- Local Tea and Coffee Shops: On average, Turks drink about 7-8 cups of tea per day, so it’s no surprise that there are many tea and coffee houses all around the city. On this tour, we visit a very local tea house where we have a chance to photograph the local tradition of tea and backgammon. Following this, needless to say, we will sit down for a glass of tea or Turkish coffee.
- Graffiti and Murals of Istanbul: In Istanbul you can find building length murals, train graffiti and stencil art all around the city. Some car park owners even allow artists to cover both exterior and interior walls of their properties. We pop into one such car park in the back streets of Istiklal.
- Cats of Istanbul: Istanbul is a cat city. There all kinds and colors of cats all around the city. You’ll spot them in restaurants, shops, houses, sidewalks, roofs and even on the public boats! Local people take care of these street cats. We visit a neighborhood with one of the city’s highest population of feline inhabitants.
- Antique Stores and Designer Shops: Walking through this neighborhood chock full of antique stores, you’ll come across anything from 18th century Ottoman hand-made ceramics to Far-east Asia art, and from vintage sun glasses to traditional copper work. This is a great opportunity for photographers interested in shooting vintage scenes.
- 19th century Istanbul buildings: The fabulous architecture of Istiklal comes in an array of styles, particularly lovely is the combination of European style blended with a Turkish touch. We will be shooting a three storey wooden houses with cumba (wooden bay windows)
- Galata Tower: We end our photo walk at the iconic Galata Tower where your photography guide will give you a final brief about this neighborhood. Most of the time, we try to make it to the tower around 6pm for the sunset shot. From Galata Tower, there is a stunning 360 degree view of Istanbul. Make sure to bring a small tripods (if you have one) to capture amazing pictures from the top of this historical tower. (Climbing to the tower is optional, it’s not included in the tour itinerary)
Who is this tour for?
- This tour is for anyone who is interested in taking photos and learning about the stories of new places.
- If you are a beginner in photography, you will learn the basic methods and information meanwhile enjoying the streets of Istanbul.
- Are you a professional? That’s even better, you will be delighted by being at the right places at the right time for the perfect shots.
Why book with Istanbul Tour Studio?
- Our photography guides are not only expert photographers but are incredibly knowledgeable about the city too and will help you get beyond the image.
- Istanbul Tour Studio is rated "Excellent" on Tripadvisor. Click to read the latest reviews about us.
- We make you feel at home! Our tours give you the feeling that you are walking around Istanbul with local friends.
- We have a team of knowledgeable personnel that are trustworthy, friendly and always on time.
How much is the private Street Photography walk tour per person?
- Starting from 1 April 2019, our private Street Photography walk tour prices will start from $120 USD/person for two people. ($240 USD/total for two adults)
- Our prices are quoted per person. We require minimum two participants to organise this private tour. Please contact us if you'd like to book a private tour for one person. The prices include English speaking professional guidance. We offer dynamic pricing which means as the number of people on your private group increase, our per person prices decrease.
- Starting from 1 April 2019, this tour will cost $120 USD/person for two people; $95 USD/person for three people; $80 USD/person for four people; $70 USD/person for five people and so on. You will automatically get the dynamic pricing at the booking phase once you select the total number of people.
Freelance Professional Photographer