"We had a really great day together with our guide Betul, exploring the cuisine of Turkey in both knowledge and through our tastebuds. This also involved lots of close contact with the Turkish people, sellers, traders, makers, cooks, chefs and waiters. It's a real insight to the culture and the way things are done in this part of the world" Read more on Tripadvisor.
Unforgettable Culinary Experiences of Istanbul
You have probably heard about Turkish cuisine: It is delicious, rich and, yes, even healthy! From traditional bakeries to kebab houses, from fine dining restaurants to local eateries, Istanbul offers a wide range of unforgettable culinary experiences. If you like to eat your way through a city as much as I do, you will enjoy this unique culinary tour that I designed for you.
Flavors of the Old City Tour Program
- Early Start: Typical Turkish breakfast: Start your day with a rich, typical Turkish breakfast! Breakfast is essential in Turkish cuisine and there are eateries that serves only breakfast and we will go and have breakfast in one of these breakfast-only places! Here, you savor a typical Turkish breakfast with local white cheese, olives, menemen (Turkish scrambled egg), honey & clotted cream, and other morning treats such as Turkish tea or coffee.
- How about a boat trip from Europe to Asia?: For good food, we can even change the continent! After the breakfast we will walk to Karaköy pier, take a boat and go to Kadıköy neighbourhood, located in the Asian side of Istanbul. Kadıköy is one of the nicest residential districts of Istanbul. Here, we will visit the famous Kadıköy open-air food market, where you can find the some of the best examples of Turkish delicacies such as, pickle, cheese, fresh fruits, honey, charcuterie, and many others. Without doubt, this part will give you a lot of insider information on Turkish food culture.
- Lunch time!: We don't want to give much spoiler about the lunch but can guarantee that you'll have an unforgettable lunch in the middle of the historic peninsula of Istanbul - local ingredients, recipes, traditional stone oven and of-course delicious Turkish food! There are delicious vegetarian options too.
- Taste the world-famous Turkish Delight: A short walking distance after the lunch we will visit one of the oldest sweet shops of Istanbul, known for the best examples Turkish Delight and sweets.
- Visit the Spice Bazaar: Next stop is Eminönü Mısır Çarşısı, also known as the Spice Bazaar. A walk through this immensely fragrant covered market is an educational experience of Turkish spices. Heaps of aromatic spices, dried fruits, nuts and Turkish delight is a delicious sight. And if you are interested in taking some home with you, prices are quite reasonable.
- Taste the freshest Turkish coffee: At this point, a good Turkish coffee seems to be exactly what’s needed. Your guide will take you to a very old coffee shop, a real hidden gem! If you are lucky you can even watch (from the outside) the making of Turkish coffee with its various stages such as: roasting, cooling and grinding. You’ll also get to learn about the culture and tradition behind Turkish coffee such as the fortune telling tradition and other interesting coffee stories.
Who is this tour for?
- Foodies who want to get beyond the Turkish restaurants and eat what the locals eat.
- Anyone who wants to sample the best Turkish food.
- People interested in learning about Turkish food culture and enjoying some delicious meals at the same time.
Why book with Istanbul Tour Studio?
- As enthusiastic Turkish foodies, we take pride in knowing all the best places to eat, and will also point out options for you to visit during the rest of your stay.
- Our Istanbul food tour was curated by Turkey’s Vogue Food Editor, who really cares about bringing you the best Turkey has to offer.
- Istanbul Tour Studio is rated "Excellent" on Tripadvisor. Click to read the latest reviews about us.
- We make you feel at home! Our tours give you the feeling that you are walking around Istanbul with local friends.
- We have a team of knowledgeable personnel that are trustworthy, friendly and always on time.
How much is the private Flavours of the Old City tour per person?
- Private Flavours of the Old City tour prices start from $120 USD/person for two people. ($240 USD/total for two people)
- Our prices are quoted per person. We require minimum two participants to organise this private tour. Please contact us if you'd like to book a private tour for one person. The prices include English speaking professional guidance and all the meals, bites and drinks on the tour. We offer dynamic pricing which means as the number of people on your private group increase, our per person prices decrease.
- This tour is $120 USD/person for two people; $110 USD/person for three people; $100 USD/person for four people; $90 USD/person for five people and so on. You will automatically get the dynamic pricing at the booking phase after choosing the total number of people.
- We give 50% discount for children between 7-12 years old; meanwhile our tours are free for kids under 7 years old.
Vogue Turkey Food Editor, Cookbook Author and local foodie