Not content with exploring Istanbul alone, I headed to Izmir for the 'Ephesus and Virgin Mary' tour with Gulden. [She] had an amazing knowledge of Ephesus and, once again, I alone had the pleasure of her company, so we were able to go at our own pace. The pick up and drop off from the airport was seamless. At my request, we made an extra stop at the Temple of Artemis. Gulden also helped me get an earlier flight back to Istanbul so I wouldn't be stuck at Izmir for two hours.” Read more on Tripadvisor.
One Day Ephesus Tour
Ephesus was one of the most important coastal cities of the ancient Ionian civilization. The traces of the earliest settlement go back to the 10th century BC but the exist ruins offer a chance to witness nine different historical eras including the Classical, Hellenic, Roman and Ottoman.
Ephesus City owes its fame predominantly to the Temple of Artemis (6th Century BC), which was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. When Alexander the Great entered this city saving it from the Persians, he saw the unfinished Temple of Artemis. He was so impressed with the structure that he offered to finance the rest of its construction on the condition that the temple would be named after him. The Ephesians declined his offer, cleverly arguing that it was not appropriate ‘for one God to build a temple for another.’
The well-preserved conditions of this ancient city mean that Ephesus is still one of the most popular tourist attractions in Turkey.
Highlights of the Ephesus Tour
- During this one day Ephesus tour, you will visit ancient Agoras, Temples, Streets and Houses in almost perfect conditions.
- Also in Ephesus you will find one of the most grandiose surviving Roman theaters.
- Ancient Roman Houses: Ephesus’ terrace houses are one of the oldest standing residential complexes in the world. They used to house the Roman elite and are decorated with amazingly well preserved Roman mosaics and frescoes. After a serious restoration project they are now open to public as a museum.
- The Famous Celsius Library
- There is even a company offering sky-diving over the Ancient Ephesus city. You can contact us for more information.
- House of Virgin Mary: The House of Virgin Mary was discovered following the visions of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, a Roman Catholic nun and visionary. Her visions were described in detail in the book written by Clemens Brentano after Emmerich’s death.
- Lunch of Delicious and Local Turkish Food: The visits to Ephesus City and House of Virgin Mary will last approximately until 1 pm, finishing in perfect time for a nice local lunch. You will have various options for restaurants to choose from – they all serve seasonal, fresh, delicious and local Turkish food.
- Isabey Mosque: Built in 1375, this is one of the oldest mosques of Anatolia. The high ceiling and marbled columned mosque is one of the most impressive architectural works of Anatolian Beylik period. The mosque’s plan and design was inspired from the Great Mosque of Damascus, Syria.
- Şirince Village (Optional): If you have been to Ephesus before and want to see something different, there is an alternative local experience at Sirince. This is a 19th century Ottoman Greek village, which was subject to a population exchange between Turkey and Greece following the WWI. During the Mayan Apocalypse in 2012, it was believed that Şirince was one of the three places in the world that would survive the doomsday. Thus thousands of local and foreign people, including many celebrities, traveled to Şirince and spent the night there. Today, it is a very nice example of Turkish village life and culture. Special food and wine of the village is also worth a try.
Who is this tour for?
- Anyone interested in the history of Ancient Greeks and Romans.
- Those interested in cultural and religious tours (Visiting House of Mary is also considered a pilgrimage destination in the Christian faith)
- Cruise ship passengers traveling to Kusadasi or Izmir with the following cruise companies: Royal Caribbean Cruise, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Cruise Line and etc.
- People looking for a day trip from Istanbul or Izmir
- School trips to Turkey (MBA students, high-school students or international schools)
Why book a tour with Istanbul Tour Studio?
- Our guides help bring the many stories of Ephesus to life with their insights and knowledge. Istanbul Tour Studio is rated "Excellent" on Tripadvisor. Click to read the latest reviews about us.
- We make you feel at home! Our tours give you the feeling as if you were walking around in Turkey with some local friends.
- Knowledgeable personnel, always on time, trustworthy, no waiting in ticket lines and much more.
How much is the private One Day in Ephesus tour?
- Our private One Day in Ephesus tour price is quoted per group between 1 to 6 people. Total price is $380 USD - to be divided by the total number of participants. (i.e $95 USD/person x 4 people=$380 USD/total)
- The price includes professional tour guide in your language and private transportation with luxury Mercedes van with a professional driver. You can either start your tour from your hotel in Ephesus/Izmir and/or directly from Izmir Adnan Menderes airport.
Traveler and Professional Tour Guide from Izmir