Not content with exploring Istanbul alone, I headed to Izmir for the 'Ephesus and Virgin Mary' tour with Gulden. [She] had an amazing knowledge of Ephesus and, once again, I alone had the pleasure of her company, so we were able to go at our own pace. The pick up and drop off from the airport was seamless. At my request, we made an extra stop at the Temple of Artemis. Gulden also helped me get an earlier flight back to Istanbul so I wouldn't be stuck at Izmir for two hours.” Read more on Tripadvisor.
One Day Ephesus Tour
Have you ever wondered what it was like to walk the same streets and visit the historical monuments of ancient Romans and Greeks? Well, if this is something that has been on your bucket list, then Ephesus is the perfect destination for you! The ancient Greek city of Ephesus (or Efes) is one of Turkey’s most visited destinations due to its abundance of wonderful archaeological sites. Not only did it play a significant role in history as one of the oldest cities in Anatolia, but it also contains Wonders of The Ancient World. Plus, there are plenty more reasons why visiting this beautiful place should be at top spot on your travel itinerary - explore majestic ruins nestled among pine forests while learning interesting facts about its wealthy past – read on and find out why you must include Ephesus to your next journey!
Ephesus was one of the most important coastal cities of the ancient Ionian civilization. The traces of the earliest settlement go back to the 10th century BC but the existing ruins offer a chance to witness nine different historical eras including the Classical, Hellenic, Roman and Ottoman. Ephesus City owes its fame predominantly to the Temple of Artemis (6th Century BC), which was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. When Alexander the Great entered this city saving it from the Persians, he saw the unfinished Temple of Artemis. He was so impressed with the structure that he offered to finance the rest of its construction on the condition that the temple would be named after him. The Ephesians declined his offer, cleverly arguing that it was not appropriate ‘for one God to build a temple for another.’
The well-preserved conditions of this ancient city mean that Ephesus is still one of the most popular tourist attractions in Turkey.
- Visit ancient Agoras, Temples, Streets and Houses in almost perfect conditions.
- See one of the seven Wonders of the Ancient World: The Temple of Artemis
- See one of the most grandiose surviving Roman theaters.
- Discover the ancient Roman houses: Ephesus’ terrace houses are one of the oldest standing residential complexes in the world. They used to house the Roman elite and are decorated with amazingly well preserved Roman mosaics and frescoes. After a serious restoration project they are now open to the public as a museum.
- Admire the famous Celsus Library
- Pay your respect at the House of Virgin Mary: The House of Virgin Mary was discovered following the visions of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich, a Roman Catholic nun and visionary. Her visions were described in detail in the book written by Clemens Brentano after Emmerich’s death.
- Enjoy delicious Turkish Food: Visits to Ephesus City and House of Virgin Mary will last approximately until 1 pm, finishing in perfect time for a nice local lunch. You will have various options for restaurants to choose from – they all serve seasonal, fresh, delicious and local Turkish food.
- Visit Isabey Mosque: Built in 1375, this is one of the oldest mosques of Anatolia and one of the most important monuments from the Ottoman Empire in this region. Travelers are drawn to Isabey Mosque for its impressive architecture, unique layout and the stunning view of the surrounding landscape.
- Şirince Village (Optional): If you have been to Ephesus before and want to see something different, there is an alternative local experience at Sirince. This is a 19th century Ottoman-Greek village, which was subject to a population exchange between Turkey and Greece following WWI. During the Mayan Apocalypse in 2012, it was believed that Şirince was one of the three places in the world that would survive the doomsday. Thus thousands of local and foreign people, including many celebrities, traveled to Şirince and spent the night there. Today, it is a very nice example of Turkish village life and culture. Special food and wine of the village is also worth a try.
Who is this tour for?
- Anyone interested in the history of Ancient Greeks and Romans.
- Anyone interested in cultural and religious tours (Visiting House of Mary is also considered a pilgrimage destination in the Christian faith)
- Cruise ship passengers traveling to Kusadasi or Izmir with the following cruise companies: Royal Caribbean Cruise, Celebrity Cruises, Azamara Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Holland America Cruise Line and etc.
- People looking for a spectacular day trip from Istanbul or Izmir
- School trips to Turkey (MBA students, high-school students or international schools)
Why book a tour with Istanbul Tour Studio?
- Our guides help bring the many stories of Ephesus to life with their insights and knowledge.
- Istanbul Tour Studio is rated "Excellent" on Tripadvisor. Click to read the latest reviews about us.
- We make you feel at home! Our tours give you the feeling as if you were walking around in Turkey with some local friends.
- We have a great team: Knowledgeable, trustworthy, and always on time!
- No waiting in ticket lines and much more.
How much is the private Ephesus and House of Virgin Mary tour for a group up to six people?
- Our private Ephesus and House of Virgin Mary tour prices will start from $445/total for a group up to six people pick-up and drop-off to your hotel in Kuşadası. Total price is $445 USD - to be divided by the total number of participants. (i.e $111 USD/person x 4 people=$445 USD/total) Please bear in mind that our rates do not include 20% Value-Added tax.
- Alternatively, you can book your tour starting from Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport paying a surcharge for the airport pick-up. Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport pick-up and hotel drop-off rate is $495 USD + VAT.
- Alternatively, you can also book a layover Ephesus and House of Virgin Mary tour starting from Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport and finishing back at the same airport - on the same day. This service also costs (airport pick-up and drop-off) $495 USD + VAT. You will be asked these questions at the booking phase and/or inquiry form.
The Ancient History Lover
Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, Wonderful Archaeological Sites, Majestic Ruins, Delicious Local Eateries